All students, regardless of their zip code, deserve great public schools–schools that instill a love of learning, that prepare them academically and socially for bright futures. But how do we know what makes a public school great? How we can bridge the gap between our experience today and our vision for the future? So what makes a great school?
GREAT PUBLIC SCHOOL INDICATORS
Through three years of research and collaboration with leading education policy and practice experts, we have identified and the seven areas critical to the success of public schools and students. They are:
- School Readiness: Our schools provide quality programs and services that meet the full range of all children’s needs so that they come to school every day ready and able to learn.
- Standards and Curriculum: Our schools set high expectations and standards with a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum for all students.
- Conditions of Teaching and Learning: Our schools provide quality conditions for teaching and lifelong learning.
- Workforce Quality: Our schools have a qualified, caring, diverse, and stable workforce.
- Accountability and Assessments: Stakeholders at all levels share responsibility for appropriate school accountability.
- Family and Community Engagement: Our schools facilitate parental, family, and community involvement and engagement.
- School Funding: Our schools are supported by sufficient, equitable, and sustainable funding.
Fulfilling these indicators will help us raise achievement for students, close the achievement gap, and ensure that all children, regardless of background, color, culture, or zip code can reach their potential.