Join SDEA Today! You belong in the Movement!
OUR MEMBERS CREATE MEANINGFUL CHANGE FOR EDUCATORS, STUDENTS, AND COMMUNITIES
SDEA makes sure the voices of educators are actually heard. Together, we have successfully raised educator wages, improved working conditions, and increased public school funding. We can have an even stronger voice when you join us today.
I wanted to be part of something BIGGER than teaching and my classroom!
Making a difference
Becoming a member of the South Dakota Education Association connects you with a movement of educators and school staff supporting each other. Our union advocates for the funding and resources that you, your schools, and your students deserve. This includes:
Using Our Collective Voice:
When SDEA members fight, we win!
We've fought for and won historic pay increases, organized to overturn unfair merit pay laws, protected collective bargaining and continuing contract rights, and even defeated private school vouchers.
But our work isn't done, and we need you to join the fight for:
- Salary and Benefits - Simply put, educators deserve professional pay for professional work — and the members of SDEA are fighting to ensure you’re paid what you’re worth and for your benefits such as health insurance and retirement.
- Respect - From the local school board to the state legislature, elected officials are making decisions that impact your schools — and our union has a seat at the table. SDEA members are advocating for increased funding, raising respect for all public educators, and standing in solidarity to secure fair wages for every worker in our schools.
- Collective Power - Being an educator can be stressful — but you’re not alone. SDEA members have a support system of thousands of educators and SDEA staff who live and work in your district. Together we advocate for improved working and student learning conditions. We join forces to move the issues that matter most to you and that affect your students’ lives.
- Protecting Your Rights - In addition to professional liability insurance for all members, SDEA protects and enhances educator rights by offering guidance, advice, and, if necessary, legal representation. In fact, members get access to the best team of education law experts in the state.
- Professional Development - SDEA is one of the largest providers of high-quality professional development trainings in the state. Take part in continuing education in everything from classroom management to teacher evaluations.
- Leadership Training - Do you have big dreams to help your students and school? SDEA has access to robust leadership training courses that will give you the skills to be an effective leader in your school, community, and state.
- Member Discounts - Members can improve their buying power and take advantage of deep discounts on vacations, movie tickets, life insurance, cars and more with the Member Benefits program.
Together we're stronger. Together we're heard.
With more members like you, we’ll have a stronger voice so that we can secure real pay increases, change our workplace, and protect our rights.
SDEA brings together ALL classes of educators who are working to help our students.
The best part about joining is helping teachers have a voice in their profession. I want to help our teachers grow in their profession and be leaders in what they do.