From Cheryl Skid, a retired special education teacher
During the first week of school, start each day with this activity. Call each student's name and ask a random question that will elicit something about his or her life. Have the student say his name, and answer a question. This activity is a big hit!
Here are some examples of questions:
1. Tell us the funniest thing you ever saw on a walk.
2. Tell us about an award you received.
3. What is the best advice anyone ever gave you?
4. What is something you wish you had never done?
5. What is your favorite book?
6. Tell about an accident/fire/arrest you saw.
7. Tell about your first fight.
8. How do you know if someone is a true friend?
9. How do you know if a teacher likes you?
10. What is your favorite thing to do on weekends?
The kids LOVE the brutal ones and will say, "Oh! I want that one — ask me that question", especially when it has something to do with anything that would alarm a timid soul!